Sunday, July 31, 2011

Almost time for School...

I can hardly believe that the time is fast approaching for Callie to begin school. When she was born almost 5 years ago, I felt I had all the time in the world before she would start school. Wow...time sure flies!

As Trey and I were starting to think about Preschool, and discussing what we felt was best for Callie, I had this strong urge to look at homeschooling. I never in a million years thought I would consider homeschooling my children. The idea was pretty much foreign to me. I honestly thought it was for "strange" families that wanted to shelter their kids from the "real world."

My first year of college I made a GREAT friend. She had been homeschooled, and she was NORMAL! (haha) It really changed my view of what I thought "homeschooled kids" were like. Even with that, I still thought I wanted my kids to attend public school and be involved in all the extra curriculars, school dances, etc.

Last fall God really started to change my heart. We moved and I have met several families in our church that are or have homeschooled their children. I realized that while I don't want to completely shelter my kids from the world, I do want to make every effort to teach them God's Word. I want their education to come from a Christian perspective. I want them to know the truth. I really started to feel like God was calling me to homeschool Callie.

I talked to Trey about it, and honestly he wasn't sold on the idea. After researching some curriculum and info on homeschooling, and talking to other families that have done it, we decided to compromise. We agreed that I would homeschool Callie for this school year (preschool). After we see how that goes we will decide if we want to continue homeschooling or enroll her in public school for kindergarten.

I am so excited to start preschool with her this fall! Even though I am a little worried to start something new like this, and take on such a big task, I feel at peace. I know this is what God is calling me to at this time. Please be in prayer for us as we begin this new journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment